Sunday, January 26, 2014

Cold and Windy Weekend Ramblings Part II

Our lazy winter weekend continued today.  I woke up to blowing snow with winds gusting to over 50 mph.  The roads were not plowed and there was a "No Travel Advisory" out due to ground blizzard conditions.  Matt ventured out and got stuck twice trying to get to the end of the road.  Good day to stay home as far as I'm concerned.  Unfortunately the dogs are starting to get cabin fever.

Lazy Day Menu 2:
Breakfast: Cheerios (Matt didn't want anything so I'm trying to use them before they go stale)
Lunch: Taco salad
Supper:  Homemade pizza.

Supper was supposed to have been Pho soup but I realized while I was explaining what it was to Matt's sister this afternoon that I'd forgotten to get the bok choy for it.  As I wasn't going out in this miserable weather to try to find some I had to come up with an alternative plan.  Matt offered to brave the roads for a pizza which was when I explained I had all the makings for one here since he prefers homemade anyway.  It's a great reason to have extra food in the pantry.  Continuation of cleaning and my house smells wonderfully of Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Magic Soap.  Final loads of laundry were done.



Today I started reading Money Secrets of the Amish - Finding True Abundance in Simplicity, Sharing, and Saving by Lorilee Craker.  I had bought another book to read for today but this came up as a suggestion and after reading about it I decided to buy it and read it today.  Lorilee is a modern Mennonite.  A modern Mennonite is one that you wouldn't know is Mennonite from their clothes or anything else.  The women don't wear coverings and wear pants and they can drive cars.  I'm only about 40% of the way through the book.  Her concept is to figure out how the Amish can live abundantly even in rough financial times and still thrive and figure out how to use those concepts in our modern lives.  She was able to speak with different Amish people; an Amish Bishop, a family that saved $400,000 over 20 years to buy a farm of their own while renting a farm and raising 14 children, and a banker that serves mostly Amish to name a few.  One of the conclusions is that you have to have a goal such as a farm to work towards.  It's got me rethinking ways I can tighten my belt so we can get a camper and make a trip to Mount Rushmore this summer.  This will be another book I'll reread to catch things I missed during the first reading.  Some of the usual things like shopping thrift stores and such are included but she's coming from nearly a shopaholic starting point.  I'm curious to see how the rest of the book is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ramblings of Thanksgiving

I hope everybody had an awesome Thanksgiving.  We took Jasper with us to Indiana for Thanksgiving.  I'm so impressed with how well ...