Sunday, February 16, 2014

Weekend Ramblings

Another busy yet laid back weekend.  I'm enjoying these days off.  The house got cleaned, the laundry got done, and meals were prepared along with plenty of time to relax and take cat naps in the recline and read a good book while watching the Olympics.

Saturday Menu:
Breakfast:  Cheese Danish
Lunch: Italian Pasta Salad
Supper:  Chili Cheese Fries

Saturday Matt had to work.  He has to work Saturdays every 10th week which is really the whole weekend since he has the after hours phone to deal with.  I had great plans to knock out all the cleaning before 9 am (told you it was a great plan) then I'd run my errands to the post office and store before spending the rest of the day watching the Olympics and knitting or reading.  Unfortunately when I woke up I felt like I hadn't slept all night.  I did manage to get a load of laundry going before 9 am.  I think I left about 10:30 to run errands.  After getting back and eating some lunch I finally got a little bit of energy back and got the cleaning done before I had to pick up my Bountiful Basket. I even managed to get a phone call in to my oldest son in Texas.

My Bountiful Basket was wonderful again this week!  So much food, it's amazing.  My regular basket ($15) included:

7 tomatoes
1 head of Romaine lettuce
1 bunch of spinach
1 bunch (3) leeks
1 pound of carrots
4 avocados
2 acorn squash
1 pineapple
8 bananas
2 pounds of Granny Smith apples
10 tangerines (like Cuties or Halos)

I also ordered the Asian baskets which was huge as well.  I'm overflowing with greens that I need to figure out how to use up quickly.  I've come to the conclusion that I can't plan my menus until I get my basket so I can plan my meals around the baskets.  Otherwise, I'm going to end up with wasting good food.

Sunday Menu:
Breakfast: English Muffin bread (last Bountiful Basket delivery) with jam
Lunch: Leftover shepherd's pie for me and a turkey & ham ciabatta sandwich for Matt
Supper:  Chicken Stir-fry (using several items from this week's Asian basket delivery)

We watched a lot of the Olympics again today.  Matt is a HUGE fan of watching them.   He had to field several calls which  started at 8 am on the work phone.  Since I had a ton of bananas leftover from my last basket that I needed to use, I decided to make chocolate covered bananas and freeze them.  They're not pretty but they taste good.  This is the first time I've done this and my chocolate started seizing up on about half way through so I cut the pieces in half and used a knife to slather some chocolate on one and then put another piece on top to make a sandwich. 




Finally managed to get the sheets I bought at Goodwill ripped into 2" strips today. I wound the first sheet into a ball after I made the strips and it took way to long so I threw the rest of the strips into plastic grocery bags.  I'm thinking that some small laundry baskets might be a good way to organize them.  That way I can just grab a strip when I need one instead of having to unroll it first from a ball.  I'm still debating whether to buy a loom or wait and let Matt make me one; although, that will be a while before he can get into the shed to his tools and I'm not sure I want to wait that long.  I need a dark green and a dark blue sheet yet to do the rugs. 


My reading today was What the Amish Can Teach Us About the Simple Life by Georgia Varozza.  Information wise I would say this has been the best of the three books I've read recently on the Amish and simple living.  Some of the ideas she gives are in other sources but she has information that she obtained having grown up with Amish relatives.  I want to get her canning book next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ramblings of Thanksgiving

I hope everybody had an awesome Thanksgiving.  We took Jasper with us to Indiana for Thanksgiving.  I'm so impressed with how well ...